Tuesday 26 March 2013

Turkeys Gone Wild: Spring Break 2013 edition!

On the weekend I was chasing a Snow Goose that had just flown over me with a flock of Canadas when I got sidetracked by some Wild Turkeys.  You see, I came over the crest of a hill and saw the familiar sight of a flock of Wild Turkeys, except this time there was a big Tom strutting his stuff in all his glory.  I pulled up parallel with him and parked my car and grabbed my camera.  I got quite a show over the next 30 minutes!





I initially thought I captured some mating on video, but after reviewing it it just looks like the Tom is awkwardly balancing on the hen's back....not sure if this is foreplay or equivalent to spooning...what do you think? :)


3 comments:

  1. Oddly enough I was just reading about this. It`s the precursor to sex. She puts herself on the ground in a position that invites the male to mate with her. He stands atop of his conquest before getting to business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are a "Peeping Tom" watching and filming big turkey Tom and the girls do their thing !

    ReplyDelete