Sunday 19 May 2013

Turtle love

On Friday morning I decided to check out the Frink Centre not far from where we are living.  It is a nice outdoor ed facility but also a Conservation Area which includes a very nice marsh with a boardwalk through it.  I was really impressed with the marsh and managed to pick up a few new Hastings County marsh birds (Sora, Virginia Rail, Least and Solitary Sandpiper) - check out my full eBird checklist.  Turtles, however, stole the show for me.

The night had been cool and the sun was out so lots of painted turtles were basking:

And it didn't take me too long to find a few Blanding's Turtles:

But the really interesting thing happened next.  While slowly walking along the boardwalk I saw some splashing in the water.  I for some reason started thinking "Otter" but when I looked through my binoculars I could see it was something stranger:


That's right, Snapping Turtles mating! I got a couple videos of it too:
That went on for about 30 minutes and at one point one of them even hissed...afterwards they spent some time thinking bout what they had just done:

Snapping Turtles will be out laying eggs in a couple weeks or so. If you see any turtles or herps at all be sure to report them to the Ontario Reptile and Amphibian Atlas.

2 comments:

  1. Mike, Today is the international Turtle and Tortoise day,, and I thank you for posting pictures that brings tears to my heart,, almost a year ago Solitary George, left us.. but,, it is people like you,, that will make others listen... I am but a bird lover,,, and I do not know their names,,, but somehow .. they know where I live,,,
    dandree@cgocable.ca
    or
    Andree birds carbonari dubreuil
    I just looked at a video of Shirley and Jenny the elephants,,, and it about time that we know each other,,, All the best
    and Greetings,
    from Trois Rivières, Quebec,, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. A diamond is but a piece of coal which has withstood stress very well... I do not know who wrote this,,,, but my quote, is the following,,
    I would rather wait and observe, to see the sparkling eyes of a neonate robin, in his nest,wake,grow,and feed,,, than have a carbon dated piece of glass....

    ReplyDelete