Tuesday 6 October 2015

personal eBird milestones: complete barchart for my yard!

I was very excited to hit two eBird milestones this past month. The first (and least exciting) was to enter my 15,000th checklist:

But the really fun milestone was to finally fill out my eBird barchart for my yard. Here's are a couple snapshots:



Even though we had been living at this place since December 2013 (and of course I was regularly reporting my observations to eBird) there were a couple monthly quarters that I had missed in my first year. I was able to fill those gaps with at least a single checklist on the second pass this year. The result is something anyone can accomplish by regularly reporting the birds in their backyard (or their local park or favourite trail) - it's a pretty powerful way to summarize simple data!

If you want to see the full bar chart of all 165 species I have seen on the yard so far, you can download a pdf version. I'd love to hear about your complete barchart.

3 comments:

  1. brilliant & inspirational. somehow i missed two months of my new home patch this past summer. I'll do better in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Haven't done this yet, but you've inspired me to start tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete