Thursday 12 June 2014

More moths

I've been thinking about moths a lot lately. Besides leaving my lights on more at night (on purpose!) I got an Ontario moth list from David Beadle and another one from the Natural Heritage Information Centre. I combined the two and linked it to the taxonomy that is downloadable from the Moth Photographers Group - if you'd like a copy of the finished product just email me and I'll send it to you. It's just shy of 3000 species!

Anyways, moths sure are photogenic, have awesome names and there's new stuff every day. Here are a few from this week:

Green Marvel (Agriopodes fallax)
Viper's Bugloss Moth (Ethmia bipunctella)
Anna Tiger Moth (Grammia anna)?
Hummingbird Clearwing (Hemaris thysbe)
Blinded Sphinx (Paonias exxcaecata)
Yellow-collared Scape Moth (Cisseps fulvicollis)
Butterflies have also been good on the yard with Silver-spotted Skipper being new for me for the year and up to four Giant Swallowtails:

And here's an Emerald Spreadwing (female) that I scared up from the low veg:


No comments:

Post a Comment